Turia Dungarees – the real deal

Turia dungarees (9)

I just finished a pair of dungarees! This is an item of clothing that I have wanted for a really long time, but being tall I was never sure I could pull it off. This was until this year’s Edinburgh Yarn Fest, at which I spotted the most gorgeous dungarees being pulled off extremely well by a tall woman. My sister and I both admired them, and I knew there and then that the dungarees were going to happen!

Turia dungarees (2)

The fabric is a gorgeous 100% cotton twill (?) from The Cloth Shop at Remnant Kings in Edinburgh. It’s utterly divine, and happily I managed to save a fair bit to make into something else at some point. Compared to the dreadful experience with my shorts, this fabric really holds a press, is easy to work with and delightful to wear! The colour is also super intense. Gorgeously saturated.

Having made the Turia dungarees as a dress, I knew there were some modifications I wanted to make and the more I thought about it, more and more changes were added. I apologise for the long post, but it’s good for me to remember what I did.

Turia dungarees (10)

Changes:

Lengthened front hip pockets by an inch – really glad I did this as they are incredibly useful pockets now. I tested them, and yup, they fit my hip flask (for some reason this was the first item I had to hand!)

Lengthened front bodice by an inch. The proportions now sit better on my body compared to my Turia dress #sewingtall.

Turia dungarees (1)

Reduced seam allowance on back pockets to 1cm, making them 1cm wider all around. – These definitely look better, though they may be slightly too high, probably due to me messing with the back rise…

Lengthened back rise by 2″  – this is good, I can sit, crouch, jump without any tightness at the back or front. Would it be better to do the same on front and back? Well, I did, adding 2″ both sides and boy was that a mistake! I had to then edit the front to take away the really long rise. The fix is messy, but effective so I’m fairly content. I think the ideal would have been rising it 1″ both front and back. My bad.

Turia dungarees (5)

Lengthened straps by 2″. Necessary. I need to get different dungaree clips, I’ve ordered some off of Amazon, and they come with sliders. My straps are pretty neat (ultra pleased with them), but they don’t fit my 40mm buckles tightly enough to stay in place. This is all okay as the buckles are borrowed off my dungarees dress so these will go back on there.

Lined straps and front with nice fabric and made bias binding for back. Wish I’d done the same for the front pockets as they are going to need additional work now to keep them looking nice. This fabric frays like crazy and I only really realised this when I was part way through. Some of my seam finishing would be different if I’d thought about this earlier on in the process and things such as the pockets would have been finished differently (fully lined?) but never mind.

P1030951

Added dart into pockets to tighten waist. This was done after the dungarees were finished and they just looked so loose around the waist but adding the darts has really improved matters. Really pleased with this edit.

Reduced width of leg by 1″. Starting from 8.5 inches below the front pockets I gradually reduced the width until it’s 1″ narrower at the bottom. I am really glad as it gives the dungarees a more styled look rather than the loose-legged look they had before.

Only put a zip in on one side. As this was all that was necessary.

Turia dungarees (3)

The wee top pocket perfectly fits my work phone, so I may add a snap closure to enable me to use the pocket without the phone falling out. That would be very satisfying and easy to do…

Overall I am really pleased with these. I put them on after finishing and haven’t taken them off yet. Hence why the photos are taken out and about after doing a survey! My job requires me to be physical and part of that involves walking over rough moorland to survey birds. My clothes need to fit in with this, and these definitely do, thankfully! I have always wanted to be able to wear the clothes I make, they’re definitely not kept for ‘good’, and so for it to work on survey is a major bonus, especially when it’s something that’s still as fun to wear as these are.

Turia dungarees (6)

Due to my fraying fabric I did have some difficulties, namely where I haven’t caught enough of the overlap during my flat felled seams. I’ve fixed this in various places, but one bit that I’ve not attempted yet is the front waistband. I feel like this will come undone as soon as I wash the dungers, so I do need to do it, but I am just a bit hesitant that I will be able to make it nice enough. Apart from the fraying, I am hoping that the fabric will hold up well so we’ll see how long these last. I suspect they will be getting a lot of use as they are so comfy and I am really pleased and proud of them!

What do you think? Would you make dungarees?

And just because I can, ye olde postcard from 100 years ago (though I don’t think the crofting women would have been wearing trousers then!)

Turia dungarees (7)

 

One Comment Add yours

  1. attieanddora says:

    These are awesome. I love the fabric choice. I recently made dungarees for the first time too and I’m so chuffed with them. They are one of those garments that are really tricky to buy for tall girls, another reason I’m so glad I can sew 🙂

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s